Home      Who I AmEmail Me      Funny Stories      Favorite Posts

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Oh y'all . . . I'm worn out

The other day, my mom asked me what it's like to be with my two children all day, every day. If you know them (especially the boy child), you know that they are very high energy. I was, as my mom puts it, "such an easy child" (Sara, if you're reading this, I know you're laughing). Anyway--Matthew and Molly are great, but every day is a new challenge for sure. That's basically what I told my mom. Most days are good and I have my sanity intact when both sweeties are tucked neatly in their beds. But a few days are just plain H A R D. And it's usually because I'm tired. Anyway--Missy started getting what I thought was a little cold yesterday--no fever, just a lot of nasal congestion. She really hadn't napped yesterday, we had a play date at the park, and the evening progressed as normal. (This is where I should insert Beethoven's 5th music "Dun, dun, dun, DUN"). She slept soundly until about 10:30 pm, and then started crying--the cry where I knew she would not put herself back to sleep. So I went up to rock her and when she saw me, she did this freak out thing. She's done it a few times in the past couple of weeks, and Mike and I thought it was night terrors (developmental, blah blah blah), but I think she just wanted her Daddy last night and decided to pitch a good, old-fashioned F. I. T. I'm talking screaming, crying, wrything around, throwing herself down, huge fit. And it went on, and on, and on. She finally woke Matthew up and Mike came upstairs. She calmed down a little, but still kept on with the fit. I got Matthew back in bed and Mike took Molly downstairs. I'll skip the details (let me just say that watching Barney in the middle of the night is not a pretty thing), but at 12:30 am, Mike finally put her in the car and drove her around for an hour. (Side note: what an amazing father. Sometimes I am in awe of him--he never complained, never lost his temper, just did what she needed him to do and then got up and went to work this morning. I so love that about him.) Finally, we get her in bed about 1:30 this morning. And then she's up again at 4:30. I went up, she tried the fit again, but I basically told her Daddy was asleep and she's stuck with me. I don't know if that worked, but she went back to sleep. She woke up this morning with nasal congestion and proceeded to chew on everything and drool like crazy. Um, hello, I must be mother of the year! She's getting her freaking two year molars! I kept her home from "play school" today and she was a major grumpy pants, but considering our lack of sleep, I think we were both pretty grumpy. It was just a long, long day. I'm exhausted, but also just emotionally drained. I fixed Cheerios for dinner. Poor Mike, Mr. Meat and Potatos. I think he's at Whataburger right now. Sorry, love, I promise a good dinner tomorrow night. I got Molly all fixed up with Motrin and a Vicks Vaporizer, so hopefully tonight will be better. Oh dear Lord, please let tonight be better. Love you!

3 people had nice things to say:

Hollie said...

Poor Molly!! Praying for LOTS of rest for the both of you! Love you!

Griffith Family said...

Praying for you friend. These are some emotionally and physically draining days (really years- but we'll look past that). Glad you blog so Miss Priss can see how much you and Mike adore her when she's older. It does get easier- seriously. Just keep telling yourself that!

gorgeous said...

Mike will be voted Father Knows Best and you, well you get cherrios for dinner - Bless all the Teeds and may the Great Physician hold Molly in Her hands and calm the storm and heal those precious ears!

Sleep well my Pretty!